Sunday, July 11, 2010

Overwhelmed with clutter; Where do I begin? A contract of course!

This past New Year's Eve, I spoke to a friend of mine that was also spending the evening at home just like any other day. She had a hearty laugh when I told her I was working on finishing a handcrafted Christmas present I was making for my brother and his wife. I told her, I might even stay up all night and finish every project I've ever started and never finished!! Of course it would take many many nights to accomplish that task! You see, I'm a somewhat of a hoarder. I don't want to really classify myself as an all out hoarder, but I do manage to bring in much more that I ever take out. So here it is 7 months into the new year, and guess what? Not only have I started many more craft projects, spent a whole lot of money on craft supplies, I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED MY BROTHERS WALL HANGING!! I gave it to him at our family Christmas party 7/8ths of the way finished, and then asked for it back! So I'm sure you get the picture.

I'm an avid reader of blogs and I also find myself getting wrapped up in reading about people's lives and I am amazed at how many talented writers are out there. I don't think I fall into the writer category, but I wanted a method for recording my experiences with my upcoming experiment. I googled "How to start a blog" and I was introduced to another blog by Penelope Trunk. Her suggestion is "Just do it!" So here I am.

I am about to sign a contract with my counselor stating that I will not go to any Garage sales, Estate sales, Thrift stores, Going out of business sales, sale racks, end caps with bright flashy orange stickers, etc., for the period of nine months. (DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THIS IS GOING TO BE???) (Imagine the savings!!) He truly wanted me to agree to this contract for however long it takes to complete my started projects, as well as all of the to-do projects that I have dreamt up with purchased items from one of the above listed places. I, however, would like to take this on strictly as a 9 month experiment!

This blog will give me a place to catalog all of my craft supplies and help me to organize the meaning of what, and why I brought home a certain this or that. (a chandelier - I want to take the crystals off of it, of course). For today, I started this blog. Hopefully I will utilize writing it when the urge to go "junking" occurs.
Wish me luck!~

No comments:

Post a Comment